Guidance Counselor - Financial Aid

Return to Guidance Counselor Page -->

Seniors beginning college or technical school will need to register for a Federal Student Aid PIN, complete a FAFSA Worksheet on line, and submit a worksheet to desired schools.

Students must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to apply for federal student aid-that's government money for college or trade school. Financial aid offices use information from the FAFSA to determine whether you are eligible to receive federal grants, loans, or work-study funds. States and schools also use the information from the FAFSA to determine whether you qualify for additional aid. In fact, some schools won't consider a student for the school's merit scholarships until the student has submitted a FAFSA. So be sure to fill out a FAFSA even if you think you won't qualify for federal aid.

Get free information and help from your school counselor, the financial aid office at the college or career school you plan to attend, or the U.S. Department of Education at or 1-800-433-3243. Free help is available anytime during the application process. You should never have to pay for help!


If you want to be considered for aid from your state or college, you must meet its FAFSA deadline. If you plan to go to college in the fall, your state financial aid deadline is probably going to be between March and May; and your college financial aid deadline could be as early as February. The FAFSA site at lists many state deadlines and tells you how to find yours if it's not listed. For a college's FAFSA deadline, check the college's web site or contact its financial aid office.

*Taken from the Federal Student Aid College Preparation Checklist- 2009